On January 1, 2019, the New York State Paid Family Leave rate and benefit schedule will change. These changes are as follows:
- Employee contribution and premium rate is 0.153% of an employee’s gross wages per pay period up to and not to exceed an annual maximum employee contribution of $107.97.
- If an employee’s contributions reach the annual maximum of $107.97 before the end of the calendar year, the employee shall not be liable for any additional contributions for that year.
- The PFL benefit payments to claimants are 55% of the employee’s average weekly wage, not to exceed the statewide average weekly wage of $1,357.11. Thus making the maximum benefit payment $746.41.
- Eligible employees may receive up to 10 weeks of job-protected leave taken in either continuous or intermittent increments.
- Length of leave eligibility is determined by leave date.
o If the first day of PFL starts on or before 12/31/2018 then the State regulations allow for 8 weeks. The weekly maximum benefit rate remains at the 2018 level.
o If the first day of PFL starts on or after 1/01/2019 then the State regulations allow for 10 weeks. The weekly maximum benefit rate is set at the 2019 level.
Our firm is here to help you with your HR needs, please contact our Director of Human Resources, Caroline Organ, at [email protected] or 716-854-5034 with any questions.